Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1857, under the name of West Providence United Baptist Church, with 20 members. It was located in the old log school house known as Providence School, located east of Gorin where the black top goes to Ella Ewing Lake. Rev J W Rowe, missionary of the Wyaconda Association, helped organize the church. He served as Pastor till 1861.
From 1861 till 1865 there was only one year of Preaching because of the Civil War. In 1865 West Providence and Middle Wyaconda united in Etna with the Presbyterian breather for one year. In 1866 the partnership of the two churches dissolved and each congregation returned to their own community back to the log school….Also they changed the name to Pleasant Grove.
In 1866 the Methodist Church South and Presbyterian situated near the G. W. Woodsmall residence was put up for sale along with two acres for $300. The Pleasant Grove Church bought the building for their Church Home and used the land for the Pleasant Grove Cemetery… now known as the Gorin Cemetery. In 1870 J. W. Rowe was preaching again for Pleasant Grove. The Church gave Rev. Rowe and his wife a lot in the cemetery and cared for them until the Cemetery was given perpetual care.
The Church purchased the lots of the present location of the church in 1898. The new Church was erected and dedicated in September 1902 with 43 members.
In 1926 a full basement was built under the Church and a gas furnace was installed in the 50’s. The educational building with four classrooms was added in 1960. In 1964 the basement was modernized with class rooms…a kitchen with hot & cold running water and an indoor restroom. Many other additions have been added….including air-conditioning, new pews and carpeting, steeple, bell tower, lighted sign and in 2002 new restrooms upstairs.
A bus ministry was started under the pastorate of Darryl Ridgely. The first Sunday the bus ministry started, over 50 young and older alike unloaded.
On October 13, 2013, the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church (aka Gorin Baptist Church) hosted a reunion of past members, those that had attended on a regular basis in the past, the Gorin Community, including the members of the Gorin Christian & Methodist churches. With over 150 in attendance, the day began with Sunday school, Morning Worship and was followed by a fellowship meal. The meal consisted of pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw, fruit salad, chips, drinks and a variety of cakes for dessert. Those present enjoyed reminiscing, and the children enjoyed a wide array of activities.
Many, many pastors and their families have graced the doors of this beautiful building in serving the Lord as he called them. In recognition to Pastor Appreciation Month, those pastors present at the reunion received a bookmark and pen, thanking them for accepting the call to serve. Present at the reunion were Bro. Ernest Deatrick and wife Dora Mae; the late Bro. Roy Starbucks’ wife, Grace; Bro. Leland Oliver and wife Frances and the current pastor, Pastor Mark Drummond and wife Michele.
Our church has current members serving as missionaries – Josh & Maria Wesley and family in Jamaica and Bro. Walter & Jeannie Barbier and son in Mexico.
The church would have celebrated its 150th year in 2007.