Scotland County FSA (Farm Service Agency) and NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) will be hosting a CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) meeting on Wednesday, January 13. The meeting will start at 1:00 p.m. at the Fitness Center meeting room at Memphis.

FSA and NRCS representatives will review CRP signup process, eligibility requirements, conservation plans, and management of CRP.

There is a General CRP signup in progress. The current signup started December 1 and ends February 26, 2016.

CRP is a voluntary program. Producers enrolled in CRP plant long-term, resource-conserving covers to control soil erosion, improve water and air quality and develop wildlife habitat. In return, FSA provides participants with cost-share assistance to establish the cover and annual rental payments.

Land that is not currently in CRP may be offered for enrollment during signup. CRP acreage expiring September 30, 2016 may be re-offered.

To be eligible for placement in the CRP general sign-up, land must be cropland that is  planted or considered planted to an Ag commodity during 4 of the 6 years from 2008-2013 AND be physically and legally capable of being planted in a normal manner to an ag commodity. Expiring CRP acreage grown up in trees will not be eligible for re-enrollment. Please contact your county Farm Service Agency office as soon as possible if you have this situation and wish to re-enroll in CRP. (Note: This would not apply to CRP that was enrolled as a tree practice.)

To be eligible for CRP enrollment, a producer must have owned or operated the land for at least 12 months prior to the end of the CRP sign-up period. An exception is land acquired by will or succession. A copy of a recorded deed must be provided at signup.

Contract duration is between 10 and 15 years.  Accepted contracts for CRP sign-up 49 will begin on October 1, 2016.

Appointments for Scotland County producers are not required, however, it is recommended. For more information about the CRP signup, please call or stop by your county Farm Service Agency office. Additional information may also be found at

The Scotland County FSA office is on the east side of town on Hwy 136.  Office is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The phone number is (660) 465-8517.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).