On April 30, 1789, following his inauguration as first President of the United States, George Washington and other officials walked from Federal Hall to St. Paul’s Chapel in Lower Manhattan for a service of thanksgiving. Washington attended St. Paul’s during the time the U.S. capital was located in New York City. St. Paul’s Chapel is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary church and the oldest surviving public building in continuous use in New York City. A part of the parish of Trinity Episcopal Church, it was built in 1766 to accommodate parishioners living on the outskirts of the city. In September 1776, St. Paul’s survived a devastating fire that destroyed a quarter of the city, including Trinity Church. The chapel was saved from destruction by a bucket brigade from the Hudson River. In 1966 the World Trade Center was built across from St. Paul’s. When the Trade Center collapsed after the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001, St. Paul’s Chapel miraculously survived with no structural damage, only a covering of dust and debris. A large sycamore tree standing at the corner of the church was credited with shielding the building from damage. Following the attack, St. Paul’s served as a relief center and a place of refuge for workers during the months of recovery efforts.