January 17, 2013

Fire Damages Building at Gene Brown Residence

An outbuilding sustained extensive damage, but quick response by a property owner and his neighbors saved a rural Scotland County home from a fire on Friday afternoon.

The Scotland County Fire Department was dispatched to an emergency call at the Gene Brown residence on Route D, approximately six miles west of Highway 15 at 4:15 p.m. on January 11th.

A passerby called in flames coming from the rear of an unattached garage immediately adjacent to the home.

First responders used a garden hose to help slow down the spread of the fire, which had started on the exterior of the east side of the garage where an exterior wood-burning furnace was located. The property owner reportedly had recently cleaned the furnace, leaving the remnants in an exposed can and investigators believe the hot coals likely were spread by wind to an adjacent wood pile.

The first fire truck went into service at 4:19 p.m. and arrived on the scene at 4:29 p.m. Firemen battled the blaze at the rear of the building while a second hose team entered the building utilizing air packs. They quickly doused the flames in the attic area of the building, limiting fire damage to the rear of the structure.

The garage, which had been turned into an enclosed living space, sustained moderate fire and water damage and extensive heat and smoke damage.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone