August 25, 2011

Memphis Man Injured in Lawn Mower Fire

A Memphis man suffered 3rd degree burns over more than 20% of his body as the result of a lawn mower fire on Saturday afternoon.

Kevin Woods was reportedly attempting to refuel his riding lawn mower when the gasoline ignited.

The Scotland County Fire Department and Scotland County Ambulance service were dispatched to the HUD Housing facility at 2:20 p.m.

Woods suffered third degree burns to his right arm, right hand and both legs.

He was transported by the ambulance service to Scotland County Hospital and then taken by air ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City.

"He had shut the lawn mower off and was fueling up," said his wife Debbie. "Apparently some of the fuel splashed on to the hot engine and ignited. Fortunately he was able to stop, drop and roll. They said that probably saved him."

Kevin is a patient in the burn treatment center. Family members indicated he was scheduled on Monday for the first of a series of surgeries to transplant donor skin to replace wounded areas on his body. Later in the week, additional surgeries will be performed using skin grafts.

Anyone wishing to send encouragement to Kevin can mail cards to Kevin Woods c/o the UI Burn Treatment Center, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone