January 28, 2010
by SCR-I Superintendent Dave Shalley
The decision to cancel school is based on many factors, primarily the safety of our students. Road conditions, approaching weather, the ability of the buses to remain in control with the frequent stops and starts, the ability of other traffic to safely negotiate the frequent stops made by the buses, as well as the safety of our many teen drivers, all play a part in the decision-making process. We have a large area in the county and road conditions vary throughout. Hopefully, the weather will begin to cooperate. If not, we will consider using a two hour delay.
The decision to cancel school or to attend with a two hour delay must be made by 6:30 a.m. The two hour delay is not a guarantee we will have school; in fact, it still leaves open the possibility school will be canceled, if the weather does not improve. That decision will be determined by 8:30 a.m.
With a two hour delay, the buses will run two hours later. For example, if pickup time is normally 7:30, it will now be 9:30. The buildings will open at 9:45, rather than 7:45 and classes will begin at 10:30. Breakfast will not be served, but lunch will continue as scheduled. I wanted to send this notice so parents could make the necessary arrangements for their children, keeping in mind that school could still be canceled.
As of January 22 we have missed nine days, two due to flu and seven due to inclement weather. We will have to make up all of those days. Scheduled make up days are January 18, March 12 and April 1 (both early dismissals) and May 19, 20, 21, 24, 25 and 26. The law states we must make up the first six days due to inclement weather, then 1 day for every 2 additional missed days. If we miss ten days because of inclement weather, we will make up the first six days and then half of the days missed afterward. For example, days seven and nine would be made up, days eight and ten would not be made up, for a total of eight full make up days.