March 26, 2009
National Public Health Week April 6-12
Health officials urge Scotland County residents to make healthier life choices National Public Health Week is April 6-12.
Making better health choices is the best way to live a longer, healthier life. That is the message from the Scotland County Health Department during National Public Health Week, April 6-12.
Health officials are urging Scotland County residents to make lifestyle choices that will improve their well-being and help prevent Missouriís leading cause of premature death and disability Ė heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some types of cancer.
The theme for this yearís Public Health Week is Building the Foundation for a Healthy Missouri.
ďA healthy life requires a foundation built by healthy choices,Ē said Margaret Curry, Administrator. ďWe all have the power to make choices that can improve our health and add years to our life.Ē
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the Scotland County Health Department promotes healthy lifestyle choices with its Live Like Your Life Defends On it program. The program focuses on five recommendations for a healthier life:
* Eat smart. A healthy diet should include plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat or fat-free milk and milk products.
* Move more. Health experts recommend 30 minutes or more of physical activity on most days of the week.
* Be tobacco free. Avoid smoking and breathing secondhand smoke, which can contribute to lung cancer, health disease, asthma and other health problems.
* Get recommended health screenings. When problems are detected early, they can be more easily and successfully treated. Recommended screenings include tests for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, colorectal cancer, and Ė for women-breast and cervical cancer. A health-care professional can recommended the right time for each screening.
* Maintain a healthy weight. Eating right and being physically active can help prevent obesity, which contributes to many chronic diseases.
ďIt can be a challenge to make healthy changes to your life, but every change you make helps prevent a number of serious illnesses that can dramatically impact your quality of life,Ē Curry said.
More information about healthy choices and the Live Like Your Life Depends On It program can be found at: www.lifedependsonit.com.
The Scotland County Health Department will celebrate Public Health Week by having a customer appreciation day on April 10th from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Stop by and help us celebrate. Refreshments will be available.
- CHURCH NEWS
- CLASSIFIED ADS
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- SOCIAL NEWS