February 9, 2006

Gorin Man Hurt After Child Accidentally Fires Shotgun

A Gorin man was seriously injured at 3:22 p.m. on Sunday, February 12th when a gun accidentally discharged at his residence.

Mervin H. Martin, 37, was struck in the head and upper body by shotgun pellets after a firearm was accidentally discharged in a second-story room. The blast traveled through the floor of the room and struck Martin, who was standing in the kitchen of the residence, on the first floor.

According to the Scotland County Sheriff’s Department, one or more juveniles apparently were playing with the shotgun when it accidentally discharged.

Gorin First Responders initially treated Martin before the Scotland County Ambulance Service arrived on the scene. The Air Evac Lifeteam landed at the home and Martin was transported from the scene by helicopter.

The sheriff’s department is continuing to investigate the accident, which occurred at the family home on County Road 400 near Gorin.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone