September 15, 2005

Tigers Explode For 42 Points to Blow Out Wayne of Corydon

The Scotland County football team may want to cross the border more often. The Tigers traveled to Iowa Friday night and came away with a 42-20 victory over Wayne of Corydon as the SCR-I offense came alive to score six touchdowns.

It was the Tigersí defense that got things rolling early, creating a pair of turnovers by the Falcons to set up the two opening scores.

Kolby Peterson recovered a fumble for the Tigers early in the first period. The SCR-I ground game quickly put the ball in scoring position with long runs by Zach McBee and B.J. Houghton. That set up a 17-yard touchdown pass from Marcus Shalley to Colby Brown as the junior signal caller scrambled and found his tight end in the end zone. The point after attempt was no good, leaving the score at 6-0 with 8:41 left on the clock.

Houghton gave the Tigers another excellent scoring chance when he intercepted a Falconís pass and returned it to the 20-yard line. Two plays later it was McBee sweeping around the left end and sprinting to the end zone on a 16-yard run. Shalley put the ball in the end zone for the two-point conversion to put SCR-I on top 14-0 with 6:56 left in the opening period.

Scotland County was not finished in the first period. With 59.2 ticks left on the clock, McBee broke a 29-yard touchdown run. He added the PAT kick to expand the lead to 21-0.

But the Falcons did not fold. The home team escaped a third down and long situation and ultimately capitalized when Logan Schick found Dustin Wilson on a 25-yard pass play for the touchdown. Andy Cowell sacked Schick on the two-point attempt to keep the advantage at 21-6 with 10:39 to play in the first half.

SCR-I got the points right back with a long drive on the next possession. The passing game moved the chains on a couple of occasions as Shalley hit Bryce Blomme and then found Kyler Hess on two big gains. That set up Houghton for a three-yard scoring plunge with 6:20 showing on the clock. The PAT was blocked, leaving the score at 27-6.

Wayne came back on the next series with back-up quarterback Brad VanEaton scrambling all over the field. His team ultimately punched in from one yard out behind the run of Matt Bennett. The two-point attempt failed and SCR-I led 27-12.

SCR-I had a chance to put even more points up on the board as the team marched the field in the final three minutes of the first half. A fake punt saw Shalley run the ball all the way to the 20-yard line. With 29 seconds left SCR-I had the ball at the five-yard line, but a pair of penalties kept the team out of the end zone as the clock ran out.

The Tigers quickly made up for the missed opportunity at the start of the second half. Shalley hit Hess with a bomb down the right sideline. The senior receiver made a great catch and took it the distance for a 51-yard TD. McBee made the PAT kick to push the advantage to 34-12.

Scotland County appeared to let up a bit early in the third period with the 22-point bulge. Penalties and dropped passes stalled the offense.

Wayne took advantage of the opportunity as Schick hit Dean Dady on an 18-yard TD pass. He then connected with Wilson on the two-point conversion to cut the lead to 34-20.

The Falcons then recovered an onside kick and looked poised for another scoring drive. But linebacker Casey Parrish made a couple huge tackles to stop the threat.

SCR-I looked poised to put the game away before fumbling the ball at the doorsteps to the end zone.

Wayne was unable to protect the precarious field position however. Houghton broke through the Falcons pass protection and sacked Schick in the end zone for a safety. The two points stretched the lead to 36-20.

The Tigers put the game away with another solid drive that McBee punctuated with a 35-yard touchdown run to make the final score 42-20.

Scotland County closed out the game by forcing the third Falcons turnover, a fumble recovered by Cowell. Coach Brent Bondurant then turned the game over to the junior varsity as SCR-I ran out the clock behind the running of Eric Glass and Jeff Kice.

SCR-I racked up some huge offensive numbers, finishing with a pair of 100-yard rushers. McBee ran the ball 20 times for 174 yards and three TDs in his first action after missing the teamís opener with a shoulder injury. Houghton ran the ball 14 times for 101 yards and a score.

Marcus Shalley completed seven of 16 passes for 131 yards and 2 TDs. Hess had a big game, hauling in four passes for 94 yards and a TD. Bryce Blomme caught passes for 20 yards and Brown had the 17-yard TD.

The Tigers defense allowed Wayne to run for 171 yards while Schick and VanEaton combined to complete 14 of 28 passes for 166 yards.

Houghton had a huge game at the linebacker spot. He made 15 tackles, including three for losses. He also had an interception and a safety. Cowell finished with eight tackles and a fumble recovery and a sack while Parrish made 12 stops, two behind the line of scrimmage.

SCR-I improved to 1-1 on the year and will face Putnam County next week. The loss dropped Wayne of Corydon to 1-1.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone