December 18, 2003

Heat Lamp Blamed For Fire That Destroys Garage In Memphis

A heat lamp was blamed for a blaze that destroyed a garage at a residence on East Madison Street in Memphis on Monday, December 15.

The Scotland County Fire Department was dispatched at 9:24 a.m. to the Jeanie Houghton residence. The first responders arrived on scene just three minutes after the initial page to find the building, located just south of the residence, totally engulfed by flames.

Firemen battled the flames for approximately 30 minutes but were able to bring the blaze under control rather quickly, preventing the spread of the fire to adjoining property. The building remained standing but the contents were a total loss.

Thirteen members of the volunteer fire department responded to the call with five fire trucks on scene for approximately one hour.

The fire department was assisted at the scene by the Memphis Police Department, Scotland County Sheriff’s Department, Memphis Light Department and the Scotland County Ambulance Service.

Fire chief Roger Gosney stated the blaze was believed to have been caused by a heat lamp over a doghouse at the rear of the garage.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone