July 18, 2002

Bounties Keep Rising As Fraise, Elston Keep Winning

By Chris Feeney Memphis Democrat The jackpot at Scotland County Speedway keeps growing. But the catch is that the only way to cash is to beat the guys who are winning every night, creating the need for the added cash bounties in the first place.

Saturday July 13 saw the reward money to beat Tommy Elston and Tony Fraise each bumped up another $50 as the two drivers continued their domination of SCS with wins.

While the bounty on Fraise (now up to $200) is less than that on Elston, the A-modified driver may have had the more impressive run Saturday night in Memphis.

The Montrose, IA, driver knew going into to the contest he likely would have to deal with Mark Burgtorf, making a rare 2002 appearance at SCS with his 69 car. He also realized that Jeff Gerhardt won the night before at Lee County Speedway.

But it proved to be Ryan Meyer in the 82M ride that proved the most difficulty for Fraise and the 45 car. Meyer started on the second row behind Gerhardt and Kelly Smith (0) before making a bold move, rushing between the two cars on turn four to take the lead.

Meanwhile Fraise was on the move, coming hard from his fourth row starting spot to follow Meyer on the run and take second. Burgtorf took a little longer to move up from the fifth row but ultimately grabbed hold of third position.

As the group approached lapped traffic the dilemma was avoided when the yellow flag came out when the 77 car went out in turn four.

Fraise got a huge push coming off turn four and passed Meyer on the restart coming down the front stretch. But at the halfway point Meyer returned to the lead with a big push off the back stretch.

The two cars stayed neck and neck as the flagman reported five laps to go. Finally with only two circuits to go it was Fraise pulling ahead for good. Meyer was second followed by Burgtorf and Gerhardt. Jim Roach of Kahoka held off Bob Dale, Lynn Monroe and Jim Fuller to finish fifth.

In the late model feature Elston once again took the checkered flag but it took a little more work than normal.

Denny Woodworth had the 1DW car running good all night. After winning the opening heat race he sat on the pole across from Elston to start the race.

Early on it was the 45 car of Fraise (45DW) not the 45 car that was on the move up. Early on it looked like he might just make it two feature wins on the evening as he pulled past Woodworth into first with Elston slipping back to third.

But prior to the midway mark in the event it was Elston finding his way around both cars as he went low in turn two to take over first place. Fraise pushed Elston for most of the remainder of the event but never could get by his fellow bounty man to cash in on the extra bucks being sponsored by Cunningham Fertilizer and Memphis Lumber.

Woodworth held on for third finishing ahead of Jason Krigbaum (11) of Hannibal. Jon Fuller survived being taken out on the opening lap to come all the way back from the rear of the pack to finish fifth.

Nearly as dominating at SCS has been the 67 car of Chris Larson in the B-modified division. The Keokuk, IA, driver kept up his winning ways surviving a major pile up early in the race. Larson actually benefited from the big collection when the 86 car of Jerry Poor got into the back of the 66 car causing it to spin and starting a chain reaction that took out several cars from second back to seventh place.

Larson, who started on the fifth row, avoided the mess and found himself in sixth place.

Jerry Reese of Memphis was at the head of the class in the 2R. He held the spot until the second restart when the car broke heading into turn one and was forced to exit on a tow truck.

That opened the way for the 03 car of Bill Baker who took over at the front followed by Bobby Cookson in the 8Z. Larson made a quick move up to third and then made short work of the front runners passing both going low out of turns one and two.

Several more cautions threatened to shorten the race on time limit but Larson took the checkered flag after a green, white run off the final restart. Cookson finished second followed by Baker. Wyatt Lance (22L) was fourth and Phillip Cossell was fifth.

The rest of the Saturday Night Excitement featured some new faces.

An exciting stock car feature saw Michael Browning of Edina pick up his first win of 2002 at SCS. Browning started on the poll and never looked back leading the entire race.

Mike Robinson ran out of laps. He was sent to the back of the pack after being involved in an early collection of cars . The 78R car made up five spots in just two laps after the restart and had found itself all the way back up to fourth place when the checkered flag fell.

Instead of Robinson it was Jim Redman who gave Browning his biggest challenge. The 14R car was in contention all race long but had to settle for second. Randy Stadler was third in the 12 car followed by Robinson and Don Kanselaer.

In the two-man cruiser event it was the 32 car of Delonjay and Murray taking the checkered flag. They got by Lance Stott and Paul Kropf who led most of the race. Dave Hudson and Sarah Small took third in the 34H followed by Sulser and Shelton in the 29 and the 35S of Jody Small and Dan Raymond.

The finale was the 23-car field in the hobby stock main event. JR Miller didn't have to worry much about the big field as he started in front and never looked back. Mark Holt and Jeff Soper started one row back and quickly moved to challenge the leader as did Doug Small in the 4/D who moved into second after starting on the third row. Luke Vantiger also gave challenge as he had the 16 car in the top five moving up half a dozen spots.

Positions two through five changed off and on during the race but the most important spot, number one, remained in Miller's hands. Holt took second followed by Small, Vantiger and Soper.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone