June 21, 2001

Scotland County Raceway Draws 21 Sprint Cars For Special Wednesday Race Night

You name it, and they had it at the special Wednesday night of racing action at Scotland County Raceway June 13. There was a full field of sprint cars, a massive crash that saw one car go airborne as high as 15-feet, a power outage, and most importantly two quality, exciting feature races.

Race fans got a rare treat, as the 360 sprint cars returned to SCR for the second time this season, bringing a full field of 21 cars to entertain the relatively sparse crowd (estimated at less than 300 in the grandstands).

A smaller class of B-modifieds served as the under card for the main event but proved just as entertaining.

Jim Gillenwater made it back-to-back wins at SCR as he took the checkered flag in the 20-lap event. But it wasn't as easy as it sounds, as Gillenwater had to battle with fellow Keokuk, IA driver Chris Larson most of the race.

Larson actually led at the midway point of the race before motor troubles sent the 67 car to the pits. Gillenwater and the 8 car of Gary Dreyer held a comfortable cushion over the rest of the field.

Bobby Cookson finished third in the 82 car followed by Todd Morton in the 33 car and the 2 car of Dave Snyder.

The heat race victories went to Dreyer and Gillenwater.

The main event saw 21 sprint cars take to the track in what was sure to be an exciting race. The fans got a little more excitement than expected on lap three when a three-car pile up concluded with the 99x car of Doren Doty going airborne in the front stretch near turn 1. The car went at least 15 feet into the air before coming down and overturning numerous times as parts of the car were scattered across much of the front stretch.

The crash also took out the 35 car as well as the 6 car. Miraculously no one was injured in the crash. The drivers, their crews and the emergency service personnel kept their cool through the excitement but evidently it was too much for the track's power system as the track lights blew a fuse and forced a 10-minute power outage.

The track officials quickly got the lights back in order and the track cleared for a restart.

It was smooth sailing from there on out, as the race went caution free the remaining 20+ laps.

The 24 car looked like the man to beat as he jumped out to a big lead early. But in a blink of the eye that all changed as the 24 car got too high in turn four and let the 51J and the 5 cars slip underneath into the top two spots.

As the cars got into lapped traffic still in the first half of the race, the action got fast and furious. Bobby Hawks finally made his move and passed the 51J car on the low side in turn one. Hawks never looked back as he built a half-lap cushion and piloted the 5 car on to the victory.

After slipping off the lead the 51J car of Ryan Jamison continued to fall off the pace. Terry McCari gained back a spot, moving the 24 car up for a second place finish. Jamison finished third while Tim St. Arnold posted a fourth place finish in the 7S car followed by the 9 car of Jeff Nehring.

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone