December 13, 2001
TWILA MAXINE ADAMS
(8/5/1924 - 11/26/2001)
Twila Maxine Adams, 77, of Memphis, MO, passed away at the Bryan Lincoln General Hospital in Lincoln, NE, November 26, 2001.
Maxine was born August 5, 1924 at Keokuk, IA, and the second of three children of Ernest Lee and Eva Maxine (Coffrin) Moffett.
She attended grade school at the Friendship School District in Scotland County, MO, graduating from Memphis High School in 1941.
She was married to John William Adams on July 19, 1942, by Rev. Adolf Bellman in the Christian Church Parsonage. They were blessed with four children, Larry Eugene, Linda Kay, Kathleen Ann, and Timothy J. Adams.
She was preceded in death by her husband on July 6, 1993, and her son, Larry in February 1960; her parents; and two brothers, Charles and Bob Moffett.
She is survived by her children, Linda Kay (Adams) Thomas of Kansas City, MO, Kathleen Ann Wright and her husband, Curtis of Lincoln, NE, and Tim and his wife, Jan (Hale) Adams of Jacksonville, AR; four granddaughters, Nicole (Atwater) Whittam, Melissa Adams, Alisha (Adams) Eady and her husband, Marvin, and Jessica Wright; two step-grandchildren, Travis and Tate Wright; two sisters-in-law, Edith Moffett of Montrose, IA and Linda Moffett of Colorado Springs, CO; a number of relatives and a host of friends.
Maxine accepted Christ as her Savior and was baptized in the Richland Baptist Church in Scotland County, MO. She and her family were members and active in the Gorin Christian Church. Maxine was co-leader of the Church Youth Group for many years. She and her family moved to Memphis, MO several years ago where she continued in the First Christian Church as an active member of the Christian Women's Workers.
As long time members of the Historical Society, Maxine and John were equally enthusiastic in their pursuit of the preservation of Scotland County history and particularly instrumental in the saving of the old Memphis Depot. By their efforts, the abandoned depot was moved to the grounds of the Scotland County Historical Society, completing the already existing complex of the Downing House and Boyer House.
Maxine has continued to preserve the old depot and its artifacts by devoting the majority of the summer months to its care and guided tours.
She was affiliated and worked with her co-members of several organizations besides the above: Charter member of the Northeast Missouri Genealogical Society, serving as historian, the Scotland County Genealogical Society, the Memphis Study Club, and a member of the Memphis B & PW for the duration of its charter.
The family has suggested memorials to the Scotland County Community Fitness Center or the Omega Children's Home.
Funeral services were held November 30, 2001 at the Christian Church in Memphis, MO, with Brother Jack Sumption officiating. Organist was Ann Luther and soloist was Joe Fulk. Body bearers were Joe Fulk, Tom Coffrin, Kenneth Monroe, Glen Lister, Fred Clapp and Bill Purvis. Interment was in the Memphis Cemetery, Memphis, MO. Arrangements were by the Payne Funeral Chapel, Memphis, MO.